In a bid to enhance the travel experience of passengers, the Indian Railways on Monday said that it will start operating the Rajdhani Express trains with feature-loaded, upgraded Tejas smart coaches.
Last Updated at July 19, 2021 21: 13 IST
Railway Ministry spokesperson D.J. Narain said that a new era of train travel experience with enhanced comfort is being rolled out in Indian Railways with the introduction of newly-upgraded Tejas sleeper coach rakes in the Western Railways.
He said that these bright golden-hued coaches, with enhanced smart features, are being introduced to run the prestigious Mumbai Rajdhani Express train to offer the best in class travel experience.
He said that the new rake made its maiden run from Monday.
Narain said: “The existing rakes of Mumbai-New Delhi Rajdhani Special Express, one of the most prestigious and premium trains of Western Railway, have been replaced with brand new Tejas-type sleeper coaches. Two such Tejas type sleeper coach rakes have been made ready to run as Rajdhani Express.“
He said that out of these two rakes, one rake comprises “exclusive Tejas Smart sleeper coaches”, which is first of its kind to be introduced over the Indian Railways.
Indian Railways is committed to realising our PM @narendramodi ji’s vision to provide world-class facilities to our passengers. Today, Mumbai Rajdhani Express starts to run with new upgraded Tejas-type Smart Sleeper coaches.https://t.co/cYnsNnLXEU pic.twitter.com/nUyDXLSjFh
— Ashwini Vaishnaw (@AshwiniVaishnaw) July 19, 2021
Highlighting the features of the new smart coaches, Narain said that they have special smart features for enhanced passenger safety and comfort.
“The smart coach aims to provide world-class facilities to passengers with the help of intelligent sensor-based systems,” he said, adding that it is equipped with the Passenger Information and Coach Computing Unit (PICCU) provided with GSM network connectivity, which reports to the remote server.
“PICCU will record the data of WSP, CCTV recording, toilet odour sensors, panic switch, and other items integrated with fire detection and alarm system, air quality and choke filter sensor and energy meter,” Narain said.
Newly upgraded Tejas type sleeper coaches introduced in Mumbai Rajdhani Express train | Photo: PIB
He pointed out that with the use of Tejas smart coach, railways aims to move to predictive maintenance instead of preventive maintenance.
“The introduction of this modern Tejas Sleeper type train for long distance journey, is another paradigm shift by Indian Railways for enhancing the travel experience for the passengers,” he said.
He also said that for the enhanced safety of passenger, six cameras are fitted in each coach which gives live recording.
“CCTV cameras with day night vision capability, facial recognition even in low-light condition, network Video Recorder are provided,” he said.
He also said that the new smart coaches are equipped with automatic plug doors and all the main entrance doors are centralised, controlled by the guard.
“Train will not start until all the doors are closed,” he said.
Other features in the new smart coaches include a fire alarm, detection and suppression system, emergency talk back for medical or security emergency, panic button in lavatories, toilet annunciation sensor integration (which will relay dos and don’ts announcement in the lavatories, whenever it is engaged), bio-vacuum toilet system, stainless steel under-frame, air suspension coaches, and so on.
Here are the additional smart fetaures:
- PA/PIS (Passenger Announcement/Passenger Information System): Two LCDs inside each coach display vital journey related information to the passengers such as the next station, distance remaining, expected time of arrival, delay and safety related messages.
- Digital destination board: Flush type LED Digital Destination Board has been installed on each coach by splitting the displayed data into two rows. The first row displays Train number and Coach type while second row displays scrolling text of destination and intermediate station in multiple languages.
- Security & Surveillance monitoring: Six nos. of cameras are fitted in each coach which gives live recording. CCTV cameras with day night vision capability, Facial recognition even in low light condition, Network Video Recorder are provided.
- Automatic Plug Door: All main entrance doors are centralized controlled by Guard. Train will not start until all doors are closed.
- Fire Alarm, Detection and Suppression system: All coaches are provided with Automatic Fire Alarm and Detection System. The Pantry and Power Cars have automatic fire suppression system in case detected.
- Emergency Talk back for medical or security emergency
- Improved Toilet Unit: Provided with anti-graffiti coating, Gel coated shelf, New design dustbin, Door latch activated light, Engagement display.
- Toilet Occupancy Sensor: Automatically displays the toilet occupancy inside each coach
- Panic Button in Lavatories: Fitted in each lavatory, in case of any emergency.
- Toilet Annunciation Sensor Integration (TASI): Two nos. of Toilet Annunciation Sensor Integration are fitted in each coach which will relay dos and don’ts announcement in the lavatories, whenever it is engaged.
- Bio-Vacuum Toilet system: Provides improved hygiene condition in the toilet due to improved flushing and also save water per flush.
- Stainless Steel Under-frame: Complete under-frame is of austenitic stainless steel (SS 201LN) which increases life of the coach because of reduced corrosion.
- Air Suspension Bogies: Provided with Air Spring Suspension in bogies to improve passenger comfort and ride quality of these coaches.
- On Board condition monitoring system for Bearing, Wheel, to improve safety
- HVAC – Air quality measurement for Air Conditioning system
- Water level sensor to indicate water availability on real time basis
- Textured Exterior PVC Film: Exterior is provided with textured PVC film.
- Improved interiors: Seats and berths having fire – resistant silicon foam, provide better comfort and safety to passengers.
- Roller Blind on window: Instead of curtains roller blinds provided for easy sanitization.
- Mobile Charging points: Provided for each passenger.
- Berth reading light: Provided for each passenger.
- Upper berth climbing arrangement: Convenient upper berth arrangement.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.