The company now expects to spend between $6 billion and $8 billion this year and each of the next two years, up from its previous expenditure plan of $5 billion-$7 billion
Last Updated at July 26, 2022 00: 16 IST
Tesla Inc has increased its capital spending plan by $1 billion, the electric automaker said in a regulatory filing on Monday that also disclosed a second subpoena related to Chief Executive Elon Musk’s go-private tweets in 2018.
The company now expects to spend between $6 billion and $8 billion this year and each of the next two years, up from its previous expenditure plan of $5 billion-$7 billion, as it looks to ramp up production at its new facilities in Texas and Berlin.
Musk had last month said the factories are “losing billions of dollars” as they struggle to raise output due to a shortage of batteries and China port issues.
Meanwhile, the latest subpoena by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on June 13, has sought information about compliance with Musk’s settlement with the regulator in 2018.
Musk had settled a lawsuit by the SEC over his go-private tweets by agreeing to let the company’s lawyers pre-approve tweets with material information about the company.
The company said it will cooperate with the government authorities. The SEC declined to comment. The regulator had first subpoenaed Tesla in November related to the settlement.
The world’s richest person, who calls himself a “free speech absolutist”, had in March said his “funding secured” tweet was truthful, likening himself to rapper Eminem in seeking to throw out his 2018 agreement with the SEC.
In June, he also appealed a judge’s refusal to end the agreement.
The latest subpoena comes as Musk prepares for a legal showdown in October with Twitter for dropping his $44-billion offer to buy the social media company.
In June, the regulator had questioned Musk over a tweet in which he raised doubts over his acquisition of Twitter due to concerns over the number of fake users and spam accounts.
Separately, Tesla’s filing said it converted about 75% of its bitcoin holdings into fiat currency, gaining $64 million in the process, while recording an impairment charge of $170 million in the first six months of 2022.
As of June 30, the fair market value of its digital assets was worth $222 million, it said in the filing.
(Reporting by Akash Sriram in Bengaluru; Editing by Arun Koyyur)
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.